Prince Harry has arrived in London without wife Meghan – but reportedly has no plans to see his family while in the UK.
The Duke of Sussex, 38, flew into the capital from his home in the US for the WellChild Awards on Thursday – the day before the anniversary of the Queen’s death.
Harry has told a family that his wife Meghan Markle is “very upset that she couldn’t be here” – ahead of a “busy week” for the couple, who will attend the Invictus Games in Dusseldorf next week.
In his speech at the award, Harry choked up remembering that it was exactly one year since the Queen’s death.
“As you know, I was unable to attend the awards last year because my grandmother passed away,” he said.
“As you also probably know, she would be the first person to insist that I come be with you all instead of going to her.
“And that’s exactly why I know exactly one year that tonight he looks down on us.”
He added that he is “very aware of the joys and challenges of parenthood.”
Harry has been a patron of the not-for-profit charity for 15 years and is expected to spend time with the charity’s winners and their families at The Hurlingham Club.
But while Harry will be in London, the prince is not expected to spend time with his own British family – with a palace insider claiming his dad Charles has “no time in the diary” to see his son.
It comes just days before the Duke’s 39th birthday on September 15.
His Majesty is currently enjoying a private holiday in the Scottish Highlands and Charles was seen driving near Balmoral today.
It also seems unlikely that Harry and his brother will reunite anytime soon, according to the same source.
Prince William is understood to have been out of touch with the Duke of Sussex for months and today visited Bournemouth – 100 miles away – on royal duties.
William appeared to be in good spirits at the engagement – he even got a cheeky kiss from football legend Paul Gascoigne.
Harry’s visit to the UK coincides with the anniversary of the Queen’s death one year ago tomorrow – when Her Majesty died “peacefully” on September 8 last year.
King Charles and Queen Camilla are expected to mark a touching anniversary at Balmoral with family.
Harry is not expected to travel to Scotland for a quiet family reunion.
After tonight’s awards ceremony, Harry will travel to Dusseldorf for the Invictus Games.
The visit is Harry’s first time back in the UK since the coronation of his father, King Charles – but Meghan Markle is not expected to join him on the UK trip.
Her role at the Invictus Games was also called into question as she was removed from the schedule.
Harry is not expected to bring his children Archie, 4, and Lilibet, 1, on the trip to London.
It’s been a busy few weeks for Prince Harry, with the Duke pictured with Meghan on the first night of Beyonce’s tour this week.
But pictures showed the former king looking particularly glum in their private box, while his wife looked in good spirits.
Harry has also been seen alone at events – the father-of-two was full of excitement as he watched Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami win over Los Angeles FC.
Harry was described as a “giddy schoolboy” as he watched Messi’s masterclass, although Meghan was not with him.
It comes a week after Harry’s first solo series on Netflix failed to make the top ten.
During the series, the Duke launched a new attack, saying he had “no support structure” to help him cope with the sudden death of his mother at the age of 12.
But Heart of Invictus – the latest series to emerge from the pair’s £80m deal with the streaming giant – has failed to take off since its release. The six-part series, which tells the inspiring stories of war-wounded soldiers competing at the 2022 Invictus Games, is Harry’s first major solo documentary project.
– With the Sun