Extension of São Paulo’s agreement with F1 until 2030 is confirmed this Friday (03). Mayor says Interlagos should receive investments
This time, there was no soap opera. This Friday (03), F1 and the City of São Paulo announced the extension of the agreement signed and now Interlagos will receive the category until 2030.
The current agreement ran until 2025 and the permanence of the race is always questioned due to complaints from teams about the conditions of the circuit and the increase in cities interested in hosting F1. However, the City Hall has been making a series of improvements and there was a change in the organization of the race, which led to a rapprochement between the category and the city.
According to Mayor Ricardo Nunes, around R$140 million was spent on improvements to the circuit, which greatly improved conditions for the teams, as a large part of the structure was moved to the center of the field. Now, it is estimated that another R$210 million will be invested to increase the capacity of the stands (doubling of sector A and definitive construction of sector R), as well as new resurfacing and improving access to the track both internally and for the public.
Stefano Domenicali, the CEO of F1, said that the renewal until 2030 is important for the category, as Brazil has a great heritage in motorsport and the public is extremely passionate, in addition to Interlagos being one of the drivers’ favorite tracks.
According to Alan Adler, CEO of the São Paulo GP, this agreement is an extension of what had already been signed before and, therefore, there were no changes to the established conditions. It is estimated that the City Hall and its partners will pay around US$15 million annually to guarantee the race in Interlagos.
Now, we just have to wait for the investments that will be made and take advantage of the fact that we will have F1 among us until 2030. And national motorsport continues to have its cathedral at the highest level.
The post first appeared on www.terra.com.br